- Total Carat Weight: 1.01 ctw
- Precious Metal Weight: 2.51 dwt
- Precious Metal Material: The domed head is 18-24k (we procured it as 18k, though our tester registers a bit higher, up to 24k) nicely patinaed warm yellow gold, while the stem pin itself is a later historic addition and is base metal.
- Dimensions: Domed pin head is 11.70 x 11.65 mm x 9.80 mm deep, from very back of button back to very top of central pearl; 70.05 mm overall length, from top of domed head to point of stem pin base
- Weight: A very weighty 3.91 grams
- Markings: Unmarked; when we procured this piece for our shop, it was sold to us as 18k. Upon testing it in-house, our tester shows that it is higher, possibly up to 24k.
- Era: c. 1860-1870 (Mid Victorian)
- Buyer Notes: This stick pin features a design and design attributes that are incredibly desirable by collectors, including the blue enameling, the celestial star motif, and the combination of sparkling gemstones-- all of which were hand-painted, handworked, hand cut and polished, and hand-finished about 160 years ago. This piece’s historical significance boosts its collectibility, as it is an early nod to the Etruscan Revival roots found in the mid 1800s. Under a loupe and high magnification (as shown in the photos), the pin shows affectionate wear that is to be expected and is certainly commensurate with its age, though when handled and viewed in person, these characteristics are not noticeable or even visible. This piece is very weighty for its size, a sizable jewel boasting loads of sparkle. It is captivating and mysterious, an ideal addition for any collector bewitched by moody antique jewelry.
- Center Stone Type: Diamond
Center Stone Count: Six (6)
- Center Stone Carat Weight: Conservative estimate by formula per the specific gravity of diamond, 0.15 ctw; 0.025 ct ea.
- Center Stone Dimensions: 1.75-1.85 mm on average
- Center Stone Shape: Antique Rose Cut
- Center Stone Clarity: Foil Backed (a historic technique intended to intensify the refractivity of diamonds and gems under the low flicker of candlelight; to preserve the piece’s historic integrity and make, the next caretaker should diligently ensure that this pin DOES NOT come in contact with water).
- Side Stone Type: Button Pearl
- Side Stone Count: One (1)
- Side Stone Carat Weight: By formula per the specific gravity of pearl, 0.86 ct
- Side Stone Dimensions: Measured within mounting to preserve the piece’s integrity, approx. 4.3 mm
- Side Stone Shape: Split (perhaps a little over half, given its height atop the domed face of head)
- Side Stone Color: Cream with rose to silvery undertone
- Side Stone Clarity: Very good luster
Delightfully Victorian in every way, this sweet stick pin features a head that likely started life as a button and was later mounted atop a stem pin. The face of the pin is domed, featuring a celestial allusion that was very popular at the time of this pin’s (or button) conception. It is decidedly captivating, a sparkling reminder of a bygone era of handcrafted luxuries.
During the Georgian and Victorian periods, it was quite common for expensive and tedious jewels, such as this, to perform “double duty” and unscrew, reattach, reconfigure and affix into other fasteners so as to transform into various fashionable accessories. It is our best guess that this button originally was purchased as a set of several, intended for ladies or menswear, and probably came with a different pin base than the one on which it exists today-- one that likely bore threading to allow it to screw on and off, and therefore, allowing this (and any other originals of the set) to attach onto a lace, scarf or cravat pin when not in use as buttons.
Its celestial reference is notable in and of itself: with the increase in archeological digs and discoveries of ancient lands across Eastern Europe, Africa and the Middle East, Western Europeans and Americans developed a keen fascination with all things “ancient” and “exotic”. Thus, architecture, jewelry, decorative arts and fashion all reflected the surge in such motifs, recalling specific design details of specific civilizations of interest (e.g. Egyptian Revival, Etruscan Revival, Greek Revival, and the like). This pin shows Etruscan references, a stylistic revival that first arose during the 1850s and 1860s.
Given its historical context, the pin’s central six-pointed star-- also known as a hexagram-- is explained. These stars, often also portrayed in the form of the Star of David, are believed to convey the six identifying attributes of God: love, wisdom, might, sovereignty, grace and justice. Affixed at the star’s core is a split button pearl, which rises proud of the dome with splendor, a bright and lustrous accent meant to symbolize an overarching pureness of heart and unconditional protection. This pearl appears to be set with the slightest rubbed prongs which act to emphasize the points of the star and draw the eye to the glow of the pearl.
In tandem between the points of the star are six diamond-shaped channels filled with hand-painted cobalt blue enamel. These bear the expression of their handcrafted origins, boasting charming imperfection upon extreme magnification but not so readily to the naked eye. Each blue diamond surround is surmounted with a foil-backed rose cut diamond that twinkles in every light. Continuing the radiating design, a trifecta of acanthus leaves decorate the triangular spaces between the blue diamond forms. These were painstakingly chased by hand at a minute scale, and exhibit stylized line-work throughout. It is almost as if the textural foliage collapses time between the present day wearer and the artist who engraved the piece over a century and a half ago.
The rich structure of the geometries present are a striking compliment to the tender symbolism evoked and the utter romance of the piece’s Mid Victorian roots. Though once a button or other wardrobe finding, this piece is now a stick pin, perfectly wearable as a lapel brooch as-is, or a prime choice for a one of a kind ring or charm conversion by a skilled jeweler post-purchase.
By placing an order, you accept and agree to uphold all of Revival Fine Jewelry's terms, conditions and policies.
General Information: All additional jewelry boxes, ring boxes, and other jewelry items pictured alongside a featured listing are considered props, are for photographic and display purposes only and are not included in the transaction unless otherwise noted. Items do not come with physical documentation, appraisals, or certifications, unless explicitly stated in the item description and/or title. While jewelry is inspected upon procurement by the shop as well as prior to shipment, Revival Fine Jewelry cannot guarantee a warranty once items leave our inventory, given the delicate and individual nature of secondhand articles and the unaccountability of buyer handling post-purchase.
Shipping: All orders are carefully packed within a branded Revival Fine Jewelry gift box, secured with recycled materials when possible, and shipped within a discreet outer shipping parcel. All orders ship with tracking, insurance and signature confirmation. Shipping options are presented at checkout. Per law and inegrity, international orders are always marked as commodity imports and customers are responsible for any and all customs expenses, VAT taxes and import fees, as well as any clearance costs legally dictated by their respective destination countries. These expenses are not calculated into the pricing structure, and returns based on import costs will not be permitted.
Returns: While Revival Fine Jewelry aims to provide a smooth experience from start to finish, customers are encouraged to reach out regarding any issue or dissatisfaction, so that we may work together toward a resolution. If a return is desired, the shop must be notified of an intention to return within 3 days of confirmed delivery, and item(s) must be shipped back to the shop within 7 days of confirmed delivery. All materials (gift box, inserts, cards) must be returned with the item(s). Returns declared after the 3 day window and/or postmarked after 7 days of receipt will neither be accepted nor refunded. Customers are responsible for generating an insured return shipping label (international customers included) and relaying the tracking information to Revival Fine Jewelry. Returns that do not include full insurance and/or tracking, and are damaged or lost in transit, will not be refunded. If a return is accepted, customers will be refunded less the original cost of shipping, handling and insurance, the expense of any damages incurred, and a 10% restocking fee (of the original purchase price). All sale items, items altered or resized by the buyer post-purchase, and all storage/ boxes are considered final sale and are ineligible for a return or refund.
Sale Terms: Sale prices are only valid within the prescribed sale window, unless otherwise stated by Revival Fine Jewelry or agreed upon between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer. To maintain business sustainability and general fairness, individual customers are not entitled to exclusive notification of, or owed access to, store sales antecedently. Orders processed prior to a promotion or sale, items placed on layaway prior to a sale, and payments paid through layaway prior to a sale will not be retroactively adjusted to reflect sale pricing or terms.
Specially Negotiated Deals: Items purchased at specially negotiated discounts, deals or prices through any platform between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer are considered final sale, including rates arranged and agreed upon via Facebook, Instagram, email or any other method. Closing deals at special rates reflects a desire by both parties to reach an expeditious and absolute sale. The intention of specially negotiated discounts, deals or sale prices through any platform between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer, is to eliminate extra expenses and/or use of time and resources to formally list or re-list items per their specific and inherent value-determining qualities, as well as avoid unseen overhead business costs, stocking obligations, and all other disclosed or undisclosed monetary and nonmonetary expenditures.
Pricing: Revival Fine Jewelry reserves the right to decrease, increase, alter and modify inventory pricing to meet market rarity, demand or value; to offset platform, transaction or seller's fees; to adapt to economic inflation and fluctuation; and to defray specific business expenses. Pricing is the sole discretion of every small business.
Regarding Brooches & Pins: Often significantly and curiously undervalued jewelry items, brooches, pins and stick pins are treasured pieces of history in this shop. Accordingly, their pricing is calculated analogous to other fine jewelry, including their symbolic meaning, rarity and historical prestige. Such pieces are typically converted to other forms of jewelry, and are therefore becoming increasingly rare in their original states. Aside from being perfectly wearable as sophisticated lapel ornaments, brooches and pins of all kinds are prime candidates for many kinds of fine jewelry conversions, including rings, earrings, pendants, and charms, if so desired by the consumer post-purchase. Revival Fine Jewelry does not perform conversion projects for customers.
Regarding Storage & Boxes: All specifications, including but not limited to the measurements, age, origins, and material compositions are supplied in good faith as professional estimations constructed using professional grade tools, years of learned and honed skills, educational resources and academic scholarship, and refined research methods. Regardless of our confidence in our descriptions and the photographs deemed viable extensions of these descriptions, we cannot guarantee the definitiveness, faultlessness, or exactitude beyond our knowledge and expertise. Kindly keep in mind that this and all items are sold as-is vintage, antique and estate secondhand wares, and consequently bear conditional wear in matter and operation commensurate with age and use.
More information on these, and more, topics may be found in the shop policies.
All layaway terms may be found here, and all shop policies may be found here.
Layaway is available for full priced, non-sale items priced $600.00 USD or greater, and items may not be combined to attain price-eligibility. Plans are offered as 3-month/90-day maximum terms.
In exchange for offering interest-free plans, customers agree to abide and uphold the following nonnegotiable terms and conditions:
• A 30% deposit is due upfront to reserve the item for layaway and pull it from public sale on all of our shopping platforms. Shipping expenses are added to this first payment unless otherwise requested.
• The remaining 70% balance is divided up into three subsequent monthly payments due on the same day of the following three months. If deliquent, a $20.00 USD late fee is added per day to an overdue payment until paid.
• In the event that a layaway installment is left unpaid for seven (7) days and no communication is received from the designated customer, the layaway plan will be presumed abandoned. While the item will be returned to public sale, all payments made hitherto are still considered final.
Layaway items are promptly boxed and shipped to the designated customer once the final payment successfully processes. Taxes, import and other legal fees are not calculated into the payments, and are the sole responsibility of the customer, whether a domestic US or international buyer. Revival Fine Jewelry is not responsible for calculating, covering or adding such costs into purchase prices.
All layaway payments as well as all items purchased through layaway plans are considered final sale; neither payments nor items may be refunded, transferred, exchanged or returned. Revival Fine Jewelry does not issue store credit.
Revival Fine Jewelry reserves the right to cancel any layaway plan at any point for any reason if fraudulant activity is suspected. In this event, the designated customer will be notified prior to the intended cancellation of their plan.
To request a layaway plan, please email us here. Remember to specify your desired item by noting its link, title or code.