- Total Carat Weight: 0.46 ct
- Precious Metal Weight: 0.67 dwt
- Precious Metal Material: On digital shop equipment, the talon head tests for between 14-15k rosy/warm yellow gold, and the stem tests for between 15-16k rose gold.
- Dimensions: This pin measures 65.40 mm from top to bottom overall; the talon pinhead measures 12.36 mm north to south (length) x 6.69 mm east to west (width) x 5.29 mm back to front (depth) excluding the stem to the pin's reverse.
- Weight: 1.94 grams
- Markings: Unmarked, which is not unusual for pieces of this age and type, though tests for between 14 and 16k gold composition.
- Era: Circa 1870s
- Buyer Notes: This pin boasts a popular figural motif that is hugely sought after by collectors for its ethereal aesthetic. The opal within has a vivid blue-white chromatic effect with very interesting, visible horizontal striations of silica within. The tiniest, pinprick of a natural inclusion(s) sits on the gem's surface around the 1-2 o'clock position when viewed upright. This is neither compromising nor detracting, and is not readily perceptible when worn or handled, but is noted and photographed under magnification for buyer transparency. The featured opal is exceptionally lovely in color and color play, notable for its blue hue and variation in movement, a trait that makes this chameleon-like polychromatic natural stone so unique. Please kindly note that in most standard, bright indoor light, this opal appears pale blue to bluish-white, and in lower lights, it seems to turn vivid turquoise-blue. Due to the fragile structure of opals in general, the condition of this opal is, itself, a victory over time! Even so, opals have a 5.5-6.5 out of 10 ranking on the Mohs Scale, and should be handled with care to achieve utmost longevity. This pin does not come with a clutch.
- Center Stone Type: Opal
- Center Stone Count: One (1)
- Center Stone Carat Weight: Estimated at an average 0.46 ct, as calculated by formula per the specific gravity of opal, though could technically weigh as much as 0.50 ct
- Center Stone Dimensions: About 5.40 x 5.35 x 2.80 mm, as measured within mounting so as to preserve the piece's historic integrity
- Center Stone Shape: Round Cabochon Cut
- Center Stone Color: Pale blue to bluish-white with striations of turquoise, lime green, chartreuse, yellow-green and apricot; when backlit or viewed at an angle, the interior of the stone seems to glow orangey-rose.
- Center Stone Clarity: Semi-translucent to opaque
Beautifully crafted by hand during last quarter of the 19th century Victorian period, this figural stick pin features a mythological motif. The head is a slender, stylized eagle talon, complete with the fierce grip and subtle reference to (etched) feathering around the ankle. The talon clutches a hand-cut round cabochon blue opal gemstone which exhibits a wildly vivid display of cool colors. The moody allure of the colorful opal in sync with the linear grip of the talon create an otherworldly and deeply symbolic piece of wearable art:
The clawed figural component could either be an eagle or griffin, both creatures full of power and worthy of reverence. Eagles have been regarded as symbols of governance, order and regality; their ability to truly soar has matched their value to that of the gods, their ability to reach the heights a sign of their connectivity to the heavens. Across religions, time and cultures, the eagle has earned a place of reverence, and has forever been perceived as an intercessory of prayer, a protective agent and an appointed being by the divine. Accordingly, the griffin-- which is a fusion of both an eagle and a lion-- embodies these same characteristics with an added aura of authority and protectiveness.
Opals’ iridescent quality is known as opalescence or adularescence, described by the flecks of color present against and within the primary background color, as well as the flecks that shimmer between layers of amorphous silica. This single opal is one quite impressive, with a lovely play of color that shifts and changes in any given lighting. It divulges a very pale bluish-white to whitish body color in indoor light, hovers between haint and cerulean blue in midtonal light, and deepens to a rich turquoise in low indoor or outdoor light. In some incandescent or LED lights, the opal can sometimes appear as a cool peachy-blue. When viewed from a sharp angle, this transforms into a sublime vivid orange glow from within the stone. The finishing touch is the rosy gold mounting with its time-earned patina, as it provides a dramatic backdrop for such a bright gem.
Furthermore, opals are thought to convey hidden messages: opals represent emotional soothing, a boost in creativity and increase of joy. The precious and legendary gemstone is believed to bring about passion and connection, while also balancing emotion and spurring level headedness. Opals conjure fidelity amongst friends and spiritual instincts within. Much more than mere beauty, this stick pin, therefore, is infused with meaning as expressive and storied as its featured opal.
This precious little pin is a trove of bravery, a judicious talisman of heroism, and an ode to the fine balance of delicacy and tenacity. A true treasure imbued with at least 150 years of countless untold stories, this stick pin is a creative treasure, and a spellbinding accessory.
By placing an order, you accept and agree to uphold all of Revival Fine Jewelry's terms, conditions and policies.
General Information: All additional jewelry boxes, ring boxes, and other jewelry items pictured alongside a featured listing are considered props, are for photographic and display purposes only and are not included in the transaction unless otherwise noted. Items do not come with physical documentation, appraisals, or certifications, unless explicitly stated in the item description and/or title. While jewelry is inspected upon procurement by the shop as well as prior to shipment, Revival Fine Jewelry cannot guarantee a warranty once items leave our inventory, given the delicate and individual nature of secondhand articles and the unaccountability of buyer handling post-purchase.
Shipping: All orders are carefully packed within a branded Revival Fine Jewelry gift box, secured with recycled materials when possible, and shipped within a discreet outer shipping parcel. All orders ship with tracking, insurance and signature confirmation. Shipping options are presented at checkout. Per law and inegrity, international orders are always marked as commodity imports and customers are responsible for any and all customs expenses, VAT taxes and import fees, as well as any clearance costs legally dictated by their respective destination countries. These expenses are not calculated into the pricing structure, and returns based on import costs will not be permitted.
Returns: While Revival Fine Jewelry aims to provide a smooth experience from start to finish, customers are encouraged to reach out regarding any issue or dissatisfaction, so that we may work together toward a resolution. If a return is desired, the shop must be notified of an intention to return within 3 days of confirmed delivery, and item(s) must be shipped back to the shop within 7 days of confirmed delivery. All materials (gift box, inserts, cards) must be returned with the item(s). Returns declared after the 3 day window and/or postmarked after 7 days of receipt will neither be accepted nor refunded. Customers are responsible for generating an insured return shipping label (international customers included) and relaying the tracking information to Revival Fine Jewelry. Returns that do not include full insurance and/or tracking, and are damaged or lost in transit, will not be refunded. If a return is accepted, customers will be refunded less the original cost of shipping, handling and insurance, the expense of any damages incurred, and a 10% restocking fee (of the original purchase price). All sale items, items altered or resized by the buyer post-purchase, and all storage/ boxes are considered final sale and are ineligible for a return or refund.
Sale Terms: Sale prices are only valid within the prescribed sale window, unless otherwise stated by Revival Fine Jewelry or agreed upon between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer. To maintain business sustainability and general fairness, individual customers are not entitled to exclusive notification of, or owed access to, store sales antecedently. Orders processed prior to a promotion or sale, items placed on layaway prior to a sale, and payments paid through layaway prior to a sale will not be retroactively adjusted to reflect sale pricing or terms.
Specially Negotiated Deals: Items purchased at specially negotiated discounts, deals or prices through any platform between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer are considered final sale, including rates arranged and agreed upon via Facebook, Instagram, email or any other method. Closing deals at special rates reflects a desire by both parties to reach an expeditious and absolute sale. The intention of specially negotiated discounts, deals or sale prices through any platform between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer, is to eliminate extra expenses and/or use of time and resources to formally list or re-list items per their specific and inherent value-determining qualities, as well as avoid unseen overhead business costs, stocking obligations, and all other disclosed or undisclosed monetary and nonmonetary expenditures.
Pricing: Revival Fine Jewelry reserves the right to decrease, increase, alter and modify inventory pricing to meet market rarity, demand or value; to offset platform, transaction or seller's fees; to adapt to economic inflation and fluctuation; and to defray specific business expenses. Pricing is the sole discretion of every small business.
Regarding Brooches & Pins: Often significantly and curiously undervalued jewelry items, brooches, pins and stick pins are treasured pieces of history in this shop. Accordingly, their pricing is calculated analogous to other fine jewelry, including their symbolic meaning, rarity and historical prestige. Such pieces are typically converted to other forms of jewelry, and are therefore becoming increasingly rare in their original states. Aside from being perfectly wearable as sophisticated lapel ornaments, brooches and pins of all kinds are prime candidates for many kinds of fine jewelry conversions, including rings, earrings, pendants, and charms, if so desired by the consumer post-purchase. Revival Fine Jewelry does not perform conversion projects for customers.
Regarding Storage & Boxes: All specifications, including but not limited to the measurements, age, origins, and material compositions are supplied in good faith as professional estimations constructed using professional grade tools, years of learned and honed skills, educational resources and academic scholarship, and refined research methods. Regardless of our confidence in our descriptions and the photographs deemed viable extensions of these descriptions, we cannot guarantee the definitiveness, faultlessness, or exactitude beyond our knowledge and expertise. Kindly keep in mind that this and all items are sold as-is vintage, antique and estate secondhand wares, and consequently bear conditional wear in matter and operation commensurate with age and use.
More information on these, and more, topics may be found in the shop policies.
All layaway terms may be found here, and all shop policies may be found here.
Layaway is available for full priced, non-sale items priced $600.00 USD or greater, and items may not be combined to attain price-eligibility. Plans are offered as 3-month/90-day maximum terms.
In exchange for offering interest-free plans, customers agree to abide and uphold the following nonnegotiable terms and conditions:
• A 30% deposit is due upfront to reserve the item for layaway and pull it from public sale on all of our shopping platforms. Shipping expenses are added to this first payment unless otherwise requested.
• The remaining 70% balance is divided up into three subsequent monthly payments due on the same day of the following three months. If deliquent, a $20.00 USD late fee is added per day to an overdue payment until paid.
• In the event that a layaway installment is left unpaid for seven (7) days and no communication is received from the designated customer, the layaway plan will be presumed abandoned. While the item will be returned to public sale, all payments made hitherto are still considered final.
Layaway items are promptly boxed and shipped to the designated customer once the final payment successfully processes. Taxes, import and other legal fees are not calculated into the payments, and are the sole responsibility of the customer, whether a domestic US or international buyer. Revival Fine Jewelry is not responsible for calculating, covering or adding such costs into purchase prices.
All layaway payments as well as all items purchased through layaway plans are considered final sale; neither payments nor items may be refunded, transferred, exchanged or returned. Revival Fine Jewelry does not issue store credit.
Revival Fine Jewelry reserves the right to cancel any layaway plan at any point for any reason if fraudulant activity is suspected. In this event, the designated customer will be notified prior to the intended cancellation of their plan.
To request a layaway plan, please email us here. Remember to specify your desired item by noting its link, title or code.