- Total Carat Weight: 1.64 ctw
- Precious Metal Weight: 1.02 dwt
- Precious Metal Material: 1 0k yellow gold
- Dimensions: This pin measures 61.08 mm end to end. The talon head measures 14.72 mm north to south (length) x 12.50 mm east to west (width) x 5.77 mm back to front (depth), not including pin stem.
- Weight: 1.59 grams
- Markings: No perceptible markings present
- Era: This pin dates to the mid Victorian era, circa 1870 to 1880.
- Buyer Notes: Please note that the pearl is specially carved with a series of three divots along the top ridge, designed to allow the three clawed 'fingers' to rest within. Because pearls are so delicate, they cannot be held with extremely tight prongs the way that other gems can (such as the diamond present) or they risk succumbing under the pressure, so instead, these carved divots are a workaround to the pearl's delicateness. This being so, the pearl is designed to be able to wiggle within the clawed setting; by design, the pearl ever so slightly moves when pushed by the finger. This can be seen in the photos provided, in moments where those divots shift alignment from their respective talons. This is intentional and not a defect, but worth noting for clarity. Also as pictured, there is some verdigris present to the soldered joints on the pin's reverse. This may be cleaned and buffed off, though we always opt to leave our items as-is to preserve and maintain every piece's utmost historic integrity and authenticity.
- Center Stone Type: Baroque Pearl
- Center Stone Count: One (1)
- Center Stone Carat Weight: 1.61 ct by formula per the specific gravity of pearl
- Center Stone Dimensions: 12.50 mm long x 4.45 mm wide x 3.78 mm deep
- Center Stone Shape: Asymmetrical, described in the industry as 'lumpy', pinched and oblong; set east to west
- Center Stone Color & Clarity: White to cream color with good luster and orient
- Side Stone Type: Diamond
- Side Stone Count: One (1)
- Side Stone Carat Weight: 0.026 ct by formula per the specific gravity of diamond
- Side Stone Dimensions: Professionally estimated 1.95 x 1.80 x 1.10 mm
- Side Stone Shape: Late Old Mine Cut/Early Old European Cut
- Side Stone Color: H-I
- Side Stone Clarity: SI2
Beautifully crafted by hand, likely in Europe, during the late-middle Victorian period, this artful stick pin features a romantically mythological motif. The head is an etched and modeled eagle foot, complete with a fierce grip and interesting texture of a griffin's talons. Centrally clutched is a hand-faceted old cut diamond which produces a twinkling light show in the eagle’s palm. This stone is charmingly imperfect, and evidences its natural origins with grace. The timeless allure of the diamond with the dynamic clutch of the claws together compose a masterfully symbolic piece of wearable sculpture:
Diamonds have long been considered symbols of tender affection, transparent and bright just as lovers’ words and hearts ought to be. Their brilliance alludes to purity and pursuit of perfection, which has awarded such stones homes in engagement rings. The clawed figural component appears to be mid-flight, and full of power. Eagles have been regarded as symbols of governance, order and regality; their ability to truly soar has matched their value to that of the gods, their ability to reach the heights a sign of their connectivity to the heavens. Across religions, time and cultures, the eagle has earned a place of reverence, and has forever been perceived as an intercessory of prayer, a protective agent and an appointed being by the divine. Accordingly, the griffin, which is a fusion of both an eagle and a lion, embodies these same characteristics.
Perhaps once a symbol of steadfast love fueled by bravery, maybe a judicious talisman of heroism, or an ode to the striking balance of delicacy and tenacity, this stick pin is truly a rarity. Most claw and stone pins are mounted with pearls, turquoise or garnet. This piece, however, boasts a nice combination of stones making it a scarce find full of character.
By placing an order, you accept and agree to uphold all of Revival Fine Jewelry's terms, conditions and policies.
General Information: All additional jewelry boxes, ring boxes, and other jewelry items pictured alongside a featured listing are considered props, are for photographic and display purposes only and are not included in the transaction unless otherwise noted. Items do not come with physical documentation, appraisals, or certifications, unless explicitly stated in the item description and/or title. While jewelry is inspected upon procurement by the shop as well as prior to shipment, Revival Fine Jewelry cannot guarantee a warranty once items leave our inventory, given the delicate and individual nature of secondhand articles and the unaccountability of buyer handling post-purchase.
Shipping: All orders are carefully packed within a branded Revival Fine Jewelry gift box, secured with recycled materials when possible, and shipped within a discreet outer shipping parcel. All orders ship with tracking, insurance and signature confirmation. Shipping options are presented at checkout. Per law and inegrity, international orders are always marked as commodity imports and customers are responsible for any and all customs expenses, VAT taxes and import fees, as well as any clearance costs legally dictated by their respective destination countries. These expenses are not calculated into the pricing structure, and returns based on import costs will not be permitted.
Returns: While Revival Fine Jewelry aims to provide a smooth experience from start to finish, customers are encouraged to reach out regarding any issue or dissatisfaction, so that we may work together toward a resolution. If a return is desired, the shop must be notified of an intention to return within 3 days of confirmed delivery, and item(s) must be shipped back to the shop within 7 days of confirmed delivery. All materials (gift box, inserts, cards) must be returned with the item(s). Returns declared after the 3 day window and/or postmarked after 7 days of receipt will neither be accepted nor refunded. Customers are responsible for generating an insured return shipping label (international customers included) and relaying the tracking information to Revival Fine Jewelry. Returns that do not include full insurance and/or tracking, and are damaged or lost in transit, will not be refunded. If a return is accepted, customers will be refunded less the original cost of shipping, handling and insurance, the expense of any damages incurred, and a 10% restocking fee (of the original purchase price). All sale items, items altered or resized by the buyer post-purchase, and all storage/ boxes are considered final sale and are ineligible for a return or refund.
Sale Terms: Sale prices are only valid within the prescribed sale window, unless otherwise stated by Revival Fine Jewelry or agreed upon between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer. To maintain business sustainability and general fairness, individual customers are not entitled to exclusive notification of, or owed access to, store sales antecedently. Orders processed prior to a promotion or sale, items placed on layaway prior to a sale, and payments paid through layaway prior to a sale will not be retroactively adjusted to reflect sale pricing or terms.
Specially Negotiated Deals: Items purchased at specially negotiated discounts, deals or prices through any platform between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer are considered final sale, including rates arranged and agreed upon via Facebook, Instagram, email or any other method. Closing deals at special rates reflects a desire by both parties to reach an expeditious and absolute sale. The intention of specially negotiated discounts, deals or sale prices through any platform between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer, is to eliminate extra expenses and/or use of time and resources to formally list or re-list items per their specific and inherent value-determining qualities, as well as avoid unseen overhead business costs, stocking obligations, and all other disclosed or undisclosed monetary and nonmonetary expenditures.
Pricing: Revival Fine Jewelry reserves the right to decrease, increase, alter and modify inventory pricing to meet market rarity, demand or value; to offset platform, transaction or seller's fees; to adapt to economic inflation and fluctuation; and to defray specific business expenses. Pricing is the sole discretion of every small business.
Regarding Brooches & Pins: Often significantly and curiously undervalued jewelry items, brooches, pins and stick pins are treasured pieces of history in this shop. Accordingly, their pricing is calculated analogous to other fine jewelry, including their symbolic meaning, rarity and historical prestige. Such pieces are typically converted to other forms of jewelry, and are therefore becoming increasingly rare in their original states. Aside from being perfectly wearable as sophisticated lapel ornaments, brooches and pins of all kinds are prime candidates for many kinds of fine jewelry conversions, including rings, earrings, pendants, and charms, if so desired by the consumer post-purchase. Revival Fine Jewelry does not perform conversion projects for customers.
Regarding Storage & Boxes: All specifications, including but not limited to the measurements, age, origins, and material compositions are supplied in good faith as professional estimations constructed using professional grade tools, years of learned and honed skills, educational resources and academic scholarship, and refined research methods. Regardless of our confidence in our descriptions and the photographs deemed viable extensions of these descriptions, we cannot guarantee the definitiveness, faultlessness, or exactitude beyond our knowledge and expertise. Kindly keep in mind that this and all items are sold as-is vintage, antique and estate secondhand wares, and consequently bear conditional wear in matter and operation commensurate with age and use.
More information on these, and more, topics may be found in the shop policies.
All layaway terms may be found here, and all shop policies may be found here.
Layaway is available for full priced, non-sale items priced $600.00 USD or greater, and items may not be combined to attain price-eligibility. Plans are offered as 3-month/90-day maximum terms.
In exchange for offering interest-free plans, customers agree to abide and uphold the following nonnegotiable terms and conditions:
- A 30% deposit is due upfront to reserve the item for layaway and pull it from public sale on all of our shopping platforms. Shipping expenses are added to this first payment unless otherwise requested.
- The remaining 70% balance is divided up into three subsequent monthly payments due on the same day of the following three months. If delinquent, a $20.00 USD late fee is added per day to an overdue payment until paid.
- In the event that a layaway installment is left unpaid for seven (7) days and no communication is received from the designated customer, the layaway plan will be presumed abandoned. While the item will be returned to public sale, all payments made hitherto are still considered final.
Layaway items are promptly boxed and shipped to the designated customer once the final payment successfully processes. Taxes, import and other legal fees are not calculated into the payments, and are the sole responsibility of the customer, whether a domestic US or international buyer. Revival Fine Jewelry is not responsible for calculating, covering or adding such costs into purchase prices.
All layaway payments as well as all items purchased through layaway plans are considered final sale; neither payments nor items may be refunded, transferred, exchanged or returned. Revival Fine Jewelry does not issue store credit.
Revival Fine Jewelry reserves the right to cancel any layaway plan at any point for any reason if fraudulent activity is suspected. In this event, the designated customer will be notified prior to the intended cancellation of their plan.
Request a layaway plan via email here. Remember to specify your desired item by providing its link, title or SKU/code.