- Total Carat Weight: 0.17 ct
- Precious Metal Weight: 3.15 dwt
- Precious Metal Material: 10k buttery yellow gold
- Dimensions: This brooch measures 46.45 mm long x 14.82 mm wide x 10.31 mm back to front, including the stem to the reverse. Excluding the stem, the brooch is 6.34 mm back to front.
- Weight: A desirably weighty 4.90 grams
- Markings: This piece is unmarked, though it is very much in the style of B.H. Joseph & Co, a jewelry maker out of the UK that began operating in 1865. During the height of the 19th century, this maker was said to be one of the largest jewelry houses in the industry.
- Era: This brooch is believed to date to the mid Victorian period, around the last quarter of the 19th century, circa 1875, and embodies whimsical elements of the Art Nouveau aesthetic while also looking ahead to the refinement of the pre-war Edwardian years.
- Buyer Notes: This piece represents a resurgence in popularity in pearl and bright enamelwork jewelry during the end of the 1800s, yet its precise make, scale, design, quality, craftsmanship and construction make it a surprisingly rare find today. The central circular component houses both a small cultured pearl and vivid purple and white enameling. Please kindly note that this brooch does emit a very light, hushed rattle when shaken. There is nothing loose or defective, rather, this is believed to simply be metal remnants left over from piece's construction process over a century and a half ago. Keep in mind that this quality is not at all perceptible to the ear when worn, but is noted for buyer transparency.
- Prospective Buyers: Research shows that this Victorian brooch has a comparative market value of at least $1,275. This is not a formal, written appraisal but may be helpful for prospective buyers while considering the purchase of this rarity.
- Center Stone Type: Cultured Pearl
- Center Stone Count: One (1)
- Center Stone Dimensions: Estimated 3.00 mm, as measured within the mounting as the stone setting permits.
- Center Stone Carat Weight: 0.17 ct by formula per the specific gravity of pearl and using the stone's dimensions
- Center Stone Shape: Presumed split/halved, though difficult to confirm because of the stone's crimped collet bezel setting
- Center Stone Color: White with very good luster
- Center Stone Clarity: Opaque
A very lovely jewel, this Victorian brooch is delightfully bright in color and elegant in design. The front features a single lustrous pearl set within a crimped collet bezel mounting, which centers a field of semi-translucent, vivid lilac purple enameling. This hand-guilloché enamel highlights hand-gouged concentric linework beneath, which exists as is a precursor to the engine-turned guilloché of the turn of the 19th to 20th century. Prior to machine-turned designs, all such detailing was painstakingly completed by the hand of a skilled metalworker, as is exhibited in this brooch.
The translucence of the enamel allows light to bounce in and out and iridesce atop the gold metal beneath, giving the color a distinctly vivid and somewhat metallic effect. Under significant magnification, both the subtle imperfections of the geometric linework and the tiniest seed bubbles of trapped air in the purple enamel are perceptible, two characteristics offering a most charming reminder of the design's handcrafted origins.
While the color purple is generally associated with royalty, imagination, and spirituality, the specific hue of lilac used represents a connection to the divine. The vibrancy of the color suggests both the liveliness of youth, the childlike faith in God's purpose for each person, and a sense of serenity that exceeds mere human reason. The inclusion of the white enamel dotted perimeter is notable as associated with the heavens, and conveys the idea of ordered balance and sacred harmony. The fact that twelve dots comprise this pattern is intentional, and allude to the 12 Followers of Christ and 12 Tribes of Israel, the age of Christ when his words are first recorded in Scripture, and the number of months in the calendar year. This number represents the completion of life's mission and the utmost of spiritual expression.
In suit with the white enamel dotted pattern, the use of a pearl in jewelry bears similar meaning: pearls are perceived as holy emblems of affection, often recalling the sincerity of tears, the glory of the redeemed and the sanctification by grace.
By placing an order, you accept and agree to uphold all of Revival Fine Jewelry's terms, conditions and policies.
General Information: All additional jewelry boxes, ring boxes, and other jewelry items pictured alongside a featured listing are considered props, are for photographic and display purposes only and are not included in the transaction unless otherwise noted. Items do not come with physical documentation, appraisals, or certifications, unless explicitly stated in the item description and/or title. While jewelry is inspected upon procurement by the shop as well as prior to shipment, Revival Fine Jewelry cannot guarantee a warranty once items leave our inventory, given the delicate and individual nature of secondhand articles and the unaccountability of buyer handling post-purchase.
Shipping: All orders are carefully packed within a branded Revival Fine Jewelry gift box, secured with recycled materials when possible, and shipped within a discreet outer shipping parcel. All orders ship with tracking, insurance and signature confirmation. Shipping options are presented at checkout. Per law and inegrity, international orders are always marked as commodity imports and customers are responsible for any and all customs expenses, VAT taxes and import fees, as well as any clearance costs legally dictated by their respective destination countries. These expenses are not calculated into the pricing structure, and returns based on import costs will not be permitted.
Returns: While Revival Fine Jewelry aims to provide a smooth experience from start to finish, customers are encouraged to reach out regarding any issue or dissatisfaction, so that we may work together toward a resolution. If a return is desired, the shop must be notified of an intention to return within 3 days of confirmed delivery, and item(s) must be shipped back to the shop within 7 days of confirmed delivery. All materials (gift box, inserts, cards) must be returned with the item(s). Returns declared after the 3 day window and/or postmarked after 7 days of receipt will neither be accepted nor refunded. Customers are responsible for generating an insured return shipping label (international customers included) and relaying the tracking information to Revival Fine Jewelry. Returns that do not include full insurance and/or tracking, and are damaged or lost in transit, will not be refunded. If a return is accepted, customers will be refunded less the original cost of shipping, handling and insurance, the expense of any damages incurred, and a 10% restocking fee (of the original purchase price). All sale items, items altered or resized by the buyer post-purchase, and all storage/ boxes are considered final sale and are ineligible for a return or refund.
Sale Terms: Sale prices are only valid within the prescribed sale window, unless otherwise stated by Revival Fine Jewelry or agreed upon between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer. To maintain business sustainability and general fairness, individual customers are not entitled to exclusive notification of, or owed access to, store sales antecedently. Orders processed prior to a promotion or sale, items placed on layaway prior to a sale, and payments paid through layaway prior to a sale will not be retroactively adjusted to reflect sale pricing or terms.
Specially Negotiated Deals: Items purchased at specially negotiated discounts, deals or prices through any platform between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer are considered final sale, including rates arranged and agreed upon via Facebook, Instagram, email or any other method. Closing deals at special rates reflects a desire by both parties to reach an expeditious and absolute sale. The intention of specially negotiated discounts, deals or sale prices through any platform between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer, is to eliminate extra expenses and/or use of time and resources to formally list or re-list items per their specific and inherent value-determining qualities, as well as avoid unseen overhead business costs, stocking obligations, and all other disclosed or undisclosed monetary and nonmonetary expenditures.
Pricing: Revival Fine Jewelry reserves the right to decrease, increase, alter and modify inventory pricing to meet market rarity, demand or value; to offset platform, transaction or seller's fees; to adapt to economic inflation and fluctuation; and to defray specific business expenses. Pricing is the sole discretion of every small business.
Regarding Brooches & Pins: Often significantly and curiously undervalued jewelry items, brooches, pins and stick pins are treasured pieces of history in this shop. Accordingly, their pricing is calculated analogous to other fine jewelry, including their symbolic meaning, rarity and historical prestige. Such pieces are typically converted to other forms of jewelry, and are therefore becoming increasingly rare in their original states. Aside from being perfectly wearable as sophisticated lapel ornaments, brooches and pins of all kinds are prime candidates for many kinds of fine jewelry conversions, including rings, earrings, pendants, and charms, if so desired by the consumer post-purchase. Revival Fine Jewelry does not perform conversion projects for customers.
Regarding Storage & Boxes: All specifications, including but not limited to the measurements, age, origins, and material compositions are supplied in good faith as professional estimations constructed using professional grade tools, years of learned and honed skills, educational resources and academic scholarship, and refined research methods. Regardless of our confidence in our descriptions and the photographs deemed viable extensions of these descriptions, we cannot guarantee the definitiveness, faultlessness, or exactitude beyond our knowledge and expertise. Kindly keep in mind that this and all items are sold as-is vintage, antique and estate secondhand wares, and consequently bear conditional wear in matter and operation commensurate with age and use.
More information on these, and more, topics may be found in the shop policies.
All layaway terms may be found here, and all shop policies may be found here.
Layaway is available for full priced, non-sale items priced $600.00 USD or greater, and items may not be combined to attain price-eligibility. Plans are offered as 3-month/90-day maximum terms.
In exchange for offering interest-free plans, customers agree to abide and uphold the following nonnegotiable terms and conditions:
• A 30% deposit is due upfront to reserve the item for layaway and pull it from public sale on all of our shopping platforms. Shipping expenses are added to this first payment unless otherwise requested.
• The remaining 70% balance is divided up into three subsequent monthly payments due on the same day of the following three months. If deliquent, a $20.00 USD late fee is added per day to an overdue payment until paid.
• In the event that a layaway installment is left unpaid for seven (7) days and no communication is received from the designated customer, the layaway plan will be presumed abandoned. While the item will be returned to public sale, all payments made hitherto are still considered final.
Layaway items are promptly boxed and shipped to the designated customer once the final payment successfully processes. Taxes, import and other legal fees are not calculated into the payments, and are the sole responsibility of the customer, whether a domestic US or international buyer. Revival Fine Jewelry is not responsible for calculating, covering or adding such costs into purchase prices.
All layaway payments as well as all items purchased through layaway plans are considered final sale; neither payments nor items may be refunded, transferred, exchanged or returned. Revival Fine Jewelry does not issue store credit.
Revival Fine Jewelry reserves the right to cancel any layaway plan at any point for any reason if fraudulant activity is suspected. In this event, the designated customer will be notified prior to the intended cancellation of their plan.
To request a layaway plan, please email us here. Remember to specify your desired item by noting its link, title or code.