- Precious Metal Weight: Approx. 2.31 dwt
- Precious Metal Material: 14k yellow gold
- Dimensions: Approx. 1” mm around
- Weight: 3.6 grams
- Markings: H14K on the locking receiving clasp (female end of the closure)
- Era: Est. c. 1870-1890, mid to very early late Victorian; height of the Etruscan Revival surge that brought with it “exotic” themes from the Middle East and Africa, and revivals of, and inspirations from, ancient fashion styles and fabrication methods for jewelry.
- Buyer Notes: This brooch consists of a 14k yellow gold circular frame upon which sapphires and pearls and claw prong and peg mounted. It is designed as an allusion to a slim crescent moon and star. The gold body evidences a rich patina, which has been left intact and unpolished according to its demand and desirability amongst antique jewelry collectors. It may be polished to a bright, buttery shine post-purchase by the buyer if so preferred. Please keep in mind that, per a recent uptick in brooch conversions in the past few decades, this piece would make an excellent conversion opportunity; this brooch could be made into a pendant by your bench jeweler with the simple addition of a bail and/or removal of the stem pin.
- Center Stone Type: Sapphire
- Center Stone Count: Eight (8)
- Center Stone Dimensions: Gradation from 2.3 to 3.7 mm
- Center Stone Shape: Round faceted
- Center Stone Color: Cornflower blue (light to medium-light blue)
- Center Stone Clarity: Translucent
- Center Stone Type: Pearls
- Center Stone Count: Ten (10)
- Center Stone Dimensions: Gradation from 2.3 to 3.4 mm
- Center Stone Shape: Semi-baroque/off-round seed, half-drilled and peg-set (one pearl shows a circular inclusion on its surface, as pictured)
- Center Stone Color: White-cream and cream, with very pale pink overtone
- Center Stone Surface Quality: Good luster throughout
This bright antique brooch is an iconic jewelry staple of the last quarter of the 19th century. It features ten pearls and eight sapphires in an alternating pattern, all natural gemstones that are beautifully singular and prong-set atop a 14k yellow gold mounting. The sapphires bear the ever-desirable cornflower color, richly reminiscent of the summer sky, and are translucent so as to allow light to pass through and glow. The pearls are a creamy-white, some with an ever so slight pale pink overtone. Together, the combination is timeless.
This piece was designed to be a fresh take on the hallowed Victorian themes of ethereality, as the pin is entirely circular, though is a clever reference to the slender crescent moon. The pattern of sapphires and pearls taper from the center of the moon shape towards the ‘horns’ of the moon, a gradual change in scale that allows one to imagine it as the shadows that create the crescent spectacle. Sweeping 14k yellow gold tips meet at a single sapphire that appears to visually float opposite the moon. This lone stone is meant to recall a star, rounding out the piece as a moon and star design.
Victorian jewelry is much beloved for the symbolism woven into every piece. The crescent shape alludes to the waxing and waning moon, which is believed to be a nurturing and watchful eye, a motherly protective agent for its wearer, is affiliated with feminine energy, birth cycles, and represents connectedness. It reminds the wearer of life’s fragility while also encouraging the life-giving relationship with the Divine, as the cyclical nature of life is, itself, a story of ceaseless and promised redemption.
Additionally, sapphires and pearls harbor their own symbolism: sapphires are seen as holy gemstones, fit for royalty and believed to embody unmatched wisdom, eternal fortune, and deep faith. Pearls are also mystically prestigious gems, and are thought to promote incorruptibility, steadfastness and fertility. Their luster has been associated with the glory of the moon since ancient times, and grew to also allude to the heartfelt tears that accompany sentiment or loss. In sum, the meanings of the moon and star and the meanings of the stones offer a rich, otherworldly message of the power of the motherly spirit as a divine gift.
By placing an order, you accept and agree to uphold all of Revival Fine Jewelry's terms, conditions and policies.
General Information: All additional jewelry boxes, ring boxes, and other jewelry items pictured alongside a featured listing are considered props, are for photographic and display purposes only and are not included in the transaction unless otherwise noted. Items do not come with physical documentation, appraisals, or certifications, unless explicitly stated in the item description and/or title. While jewelry is inspected upon procurement by the shop as well as prior to shipment, Revival Fine Jewelry cannot guarantee a warranty once items leave our inventory, given the delicate and individual nature of secondhand articles and the unaccountability of buyer handling post-purchase.
Shipping: All orders are carefully packed within a branded Revival Fine Jewelry gift box, secured with recycled materials when possible, and shipped within a discreet outer shipping parcel. All orders ship with tracking, insurance and signature confirmation. Shipping options are presented at checkout. Per law and inegrity, international orders are always marked as commodity imports and customers are responsible for any and all customs expenses, VAT taxes and import fees, as well as any clearance costs legally dictated by their respective destination countries. These expenses are not calculated into the pricing structure, and returns based on import costs will not be permitted.
Returns: While Revival Fine Jewelry aims to provide a smooth experience from start to finish, customers are encouraged to reach out regarding any issue or dissatisfaction, so that we may work together toward a resolution. If a return is desired, the shop must be notified of an intention to return within 3 days of confirmed delivery, and item(s) must be shipped back to the shop within 7 days of confirmed delivery. All materials (gift box, inserts, cards) must be returned with the item(s). Returns declared after the 3 day window and/or postmarked after 7 days of receipt will neither be accepted nor refunded. Customers are responsible for generating an insured return shipping label (international customers included) and relaying the tracking information to Revival Fine Jewelry. Returns that do not include full insurance and/or tracking, and are damaged or lost in transit, will not be refunded. If a return is accepted, customers will be refunded less the original cost of shipping, handling and insurance, the expense of any damages incurred, and a 10% restocking fee (of the original purchase price). All sale items, items altered or resized by the buyer post-purchase, and all storage/ boxes are considered final sale and are ineligible for a return or refund.
Sale Terms: Sale prices are only valid within the prescribed sale window, unless otherwise stated by Revival Fine Jewelry or agreed upon between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer. To maintain business sustainability and general fairness, individual customers are not entitled to exclusive notification of, or owed access to, store sales antecedently. Orders processed prior to a promotion or sale, items placed on layaway prior to a sale, and payments paid through layaway prior to a sale will not be retroactively adjusted to reflect sale pricing or terms.
Specially Negotiated Deals: Items purchased at specially negotiated discounts, deals or prices through any platform between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer are considered final sale, including rates arranged and agreed upon via Facebook, Instagram, email or any other method. Closing deals at special rates reflects a desire by both parties to reach an expeditious and absolute sale. The intention of specially negotiated discounts, deals or sale prices through any platform between Revival Fine Jewelry and a designated customer, is to eliminate extra expenses and/or use of time and resources to formally list or re-list items per their specific and inherent value-determining qualities, as well as avoid unseen overhead business costs, stocking obligations, and all other disclosed or undisclosed monetary and nonmonetary expenditures.
Pricing: Revival Fine Jewelry reserves the right to decrease, increase, alter and modify inventory pricing to meet market rarity, demand or value; to offset platform, transaction or seller's fees; to adapt to economic inflation and fluctuation; and to defray specific business expenses. Pricing is the sole discretion of every small business.
Regarding Brooches & Pins: Often significantly and curiously undervalued jewelry items, brooches, pins and stick pins are treasured pieces of history in this shop. Accordingly, their pricing is calculated analogous to other fine jewelry, including their symbolic meaning, rarity and historical prestige. Such pieces are typically converted to other forms of jewelry, and are therefore becoming increasingly rare in their original states. Aside from being perfectly wearable as sophisticated lapel ornaments, brooches and pins of all kinds are prime candidates for many kinds of fine jewelry conversions, including rings, earrings, pendants, and charms, if so desired by the consumer post-purchase. Revival Fine Jewelry does not perform conversion projects for customers.
Regarding Storage & Boxes: All specifications, including but not limited to the measurements, age, origins, and material compositions are supplied in good faith as professional estimations constructed using professional grade tools, years of learned and honed skills, educational resources and academic scholarship, and refined research methods. Regardless of our confidence in our descriptions and the photographs deemed viable extensions of these descriptions, we cannot guarantee the definitiveness, faultlessness, or exactitude beyond our knowledge and expertise. Kindly keep in mind that this and all items are sold as-is vintage, antique and estate secondhand wares, and consequently bear conditional wear in matter and operation commensurate with age and use.
More information on these, and more, topics may be found in the shop policies.
All layaway terms may be found here, and all shop policies may be found here.
Layaway is available for full priced, non-sale items priced $600.00 USD or greater, and items may not be combined to attain price-eligibility. Plans are offered as 3-month/90-day maximum terms.
In exchange for offering interest-free plans, customers agree to abide and uphold the following nonnegotiable terms and conditions:
- A 30% deposit is due upfront to reserve the item for layaway and pull it from public sale on all of our shopping platforms. Shipping expenses are added to this first payment unless otherwise requested.
- The remaining 70% balance is divided up into three subsequent monthly payments due on the same day of the following three months. If delinquent, a $20.00 USD late fee is added per day to an overdue payment until paid.
- In the event that a layaway installment is left unpaid for seven (7) days and no communication is received from the designated customer, the layaway plan will be presumed abandoned. While the item will be returned to public sale, all payments made hitherto are still considered final.
Layaway items are promptly boxed and shipped to the designated customer once the final payment successfully processes. Taxes, import and other legal fees are not calculated into the payments, and are the sole responsibility of the customer, whether a domestic US or international buyer. Revival Fine Jewelry is not responsible for calculating, covering or adding such costs into purchase prices.
All layaway payments as well as all items purchased through layaway plans are considered final sale; neither payments nor items may be refunded, transferred, exchanged or returned. Revival Fine Jewelry does not issue store credit.
Revival Fine Jewelry reserves the right to cancel any layaway plan at any point for any reason if fraudulent activity is suspected. In this event, the designated customer will be notified prior to the intended cancellation of their plan.
Request a layaway plan via email here. Remember to specify your desired item by providing its link, title or SKU/code.